Is your aging parent considering options for different living arrangements? It may be easier than you might think to create a space for him or her in your own home in greater Birmingham, AL. Drake Homes can offer the design and build services that can expand your house with an accommodating in-law suite. With a carefully designed addition, you can enjoy the closeness of family life while still maintaining independent living arrangements.
Increase the value of your house with the addition of a suite that has the potential for future rentals. If a rental is your future goal, Drake Homes will help you research the zoning laws and septic tank permits that will help define the scope of the project. Adding a kitchen may change the zoning requirements, so some people have chosen to have a kitchenette with no stove/oven instead. We’ll help you with the details to make sure the end product will be well-suited for the expansion of your family.
What are some options for location of the suite?
You may have more room for a suite than you may have imagined. Here are some creative solutions that people have used for their in-law suite:
- Garage conversion – if you have a 3-car garage, you can convert one stall into a suite. Or, you can use a different option for your vehicles and transform the entire garage into a suite. Remodeling an existing structure is easier than building, and an efficient suite with bathroom, sitting room, bedroom, beverage bar, storage, and washer/dryer can be designed from your existing garage floorplan.
- Unused rooms combined – if you have rooms that are seldom used, such as a formal dining room or parlor, they may be easily converted into a bedroom suite with a handicap-accessible bathroom. Some homeowners have found they no longer need 4 bedrooms, so two are combined to make a suite and one is renovated into a guest room or office. This adaptation may even make your home more attractive on the market.
- Porch conversion – if you have a great porch, Drake Homes can convert it into a cozy 4-seasons room with some added privacy to make an attractive in-law suite. A main floor bathroom can then be remodeled to be handicap accessible. Will you miss your porch? We can expand your options with a beautiful deck with a sunscreen.
- Basement apartment – if your basement has a safety egress, it might make a wonderful in-law suite. An electric chairlift on the stairs can solve the mobility issues. The basement door can have a wide sidewalk added for wheelchair access. Drake Homes has the expertise to design and to build out a basement so that it doesn’t feel like a basement anymore.
- New addition – An attached addition or a freestanding addition may be the right housing answer for your parent. This option offers the greatest independence and privacy and is the most flexible when designing the floorplan. Utilities can be installed separately from the house for easy shut off when not needed, and can be more ideal when converted into a rental in the future.
This is a big step. I need help.
All of the decisions involved in taking over the care of an aging parent can be very overwhelming. Your friends at Drake Homes are experienced in building for special needs and in designing ideal in-law suites for existing homes in the greater Birmingham, AL area. Trusted industrywide for our expertise and high quality service, we can be trusted with the important work of developing your new in-law suite into a comfortable and safe place for your loved one.
Schedule your complimentary home review!
Call us today at (205) 637-3646 or email us to schedule an initial review to discuss your options for adding a suite for your mom or dad. We’re ready to go to work for you to create an in-law suite that looks and feels like home.